Research at Web3 Foundation
The Web3 Foundation nurtures and stewards technologies and applications for a privacy preserving and decentralized web. We work on a range of cryptographic and consensus protocols that have emerged as crucial building blocks of decentralized systems in general, and the Web3 ecosystem in particular. We are the opposite of a big data company.
Our core project at the moment is Polkadot, a protocol designed to connect blockchains and allow them to interoperate, share security, and more. In addition to that, we support the development of a number of technologies that form the Web 3.0 tech stack such as privacy technologies, decentralized messaging, and distributed storage or secret management.
We conduct cutting-edge research that is both theoretically exciting and expected to have a dramatic real world impact by helping to replace centralised infrastructure. We thus work closely with both academics as well as development teams to deploy components of large-scale distributed systems. We explore a remarkable array of research topics within our mandate to steward distributed technologies, including:
- Cryptographic protocols
- Consensus algorithms
- Game theory and mechanism design
- Censorship resistance
- Privacy technologies
- Build simulations of a complex decentralized system, and use real-life data to model its interaction with markets and users.
- Design macroeconomic indicators for the system, and create automated regulatory mechanisms.
- Provide economic advice for Polkadot or any layer two project of Polkadot.
- Maintain clear technical documentation, and execute a research agenda.
- Collaborate and produce publications within a multi-disciplinary research team.
Successful candidates should have a degree in an area closely related to mathematical economics or macroeconomics, or equivalent background. In addition to excellent written and verbal communication skills, the candidate should have experience in the following areas:
- Mathematical modeling of complex systems.
- Experience in rigorous economic analysis, i.e. computer simulations, ideally of markets or customer behaviors.
- Collaborations in research teams that require mathematical rigor.
- Background in quantitative analysis and derivatives modeling.
- Background in game theory.
- Competitive compensation and employee benefits
- Regular company retreats at unique locations around Europe
- Opportunity to work on a diverse team of varied professional backgrounds (i.e. physics, computer science, algorithm design, legal, financial products, management consulting, marketing & advertising, etc).
To apply to this position, we ask you to answer a few questions in the application form, and to submit your CV and a cover letter, telling us a bit about yourself and your motivation to join us.
For more information about us, visit us on:
- Web3 Foundation website: https://web3.foundation/
- Polkadot website: https://polkadot.network/
- Github: https://github.com/w3f/polkadot-overview